Monday, January 4, 2010

One for You, One for Me

I've been thinking about New Year's resolutions and decided not to make any. Instead I've come up with a New Year's plan (of sorts). I'm calling it "One for You, One for Me." It's my way to take time each week do something for myself and something for someone else - and that someone else is NOT to be my children. I feel like I do a LOT for my kids so I'm good in that area. Here's the deal, each week I will do something just for me - get a pedicure, treat myself to a Starbucks, or just take a quick nap (guilt-free and not because I'm sick). In addition, each week I will reach out and do something for someone else - watch a friend's child, take a new mom dinner or just send a nice card to someone. See...one for you, one for me!

I got to thinking about this because for a couple of weeks now I'd planned to drop off a care package to a dear friend of mine who just had baby #4, and unfortunately there have been many health complications with her new son. Why haven't I dropped off anything for her??? That's it, I'm doing it THIS WEEK!! So that's my one for you for the week. I happen to have an appointment on Thursday for an eyebrow wax, one for me -- check!

This plan may sound a bit selfish, I'm ok with that. I think as moms we are so often self-less that it's ok to get a bit selfish. My kids will be just fine and my eyebrows will look good too.

Update - Here is my list of One for You, One for Me
Week of:
Jan 4 - You: Gift basket for friend with new baby. Me: eyebrow wax
Jan 11 - You: Dinner for friend (just because). Me: guilt and kid-free shopping afternoon
Jan 18 - You: Babysit niece. Me: two fancy, sugary Starbucks during the week
Jan 25 - You: Cards sent to 3 friends. Me: went to see a show with my sister
Feb 1 - You: Hair bows for a friend's daughter. Me: Free Saturday morning
Feb 8 - You: Babysat friend's kids. Me: Hair cut and color
Feb 15 - You: Cards sent to 2 friends. Me: eyebrow wax
Feb 22 - You: Dinner for a friend (son had been in the hospital). Me: A night with friends
Mar 1 - You: Dinner for a friend. Me: Lots of relaxing, reading and shopping (Joe and I were in AZ for 5 days without the kids!)
Mar 8 - You: Watched niece (although this is a weak one because she is 13 and actually helped me entertain my kids). Me: Relaxed and read during the kids naps instead of cleaned!
Mar 15 - You: Two nice cards sent to friends. Me: A spa day and dinner with my friends.
Mar 22 - You: Was going to watch a friend's little girl, but she had to cancel last minute. However, I did make and pass out sack lunches to the homeless with my Mom's group. Kind of counts. Me: a guilt-free nap during Lauren's nap one day and quiet reading time another day.
Mar 29 - You: watch my niece and nephew. Me: pedicure
Apr 5 - You: dinner for a friend. Me: a day without the kids!

Big break of not keeping track...I swear I did things for myself and others during this time.

Sept 6 - You: dinner for a friend who just had twins. Me: two new dresses for the fall :)
Sept 13 - You: watched nephew after school. Me: Moms only get together on Friday night
Sept 20 - You: watched a friend's daughter while she focused on time with her older son. Me: eyebrow wax
Sept 27 - You: visited my friend with new twins, took her some wine and muffins and helped hold the babies (she said it was helpful!). Me: Iced Chai Latte from Starbucks.

Another break of not keeping track. I have however, been picking up a friends' daughter every Friday so she gets a little playdate each week with Lauren (the mom works full time) and I have watched another little girl a couple of times while the mom volunteers to tutor elementary school kids. So, I swear I have done some nice thing for others. Probably for myself too...oh yes, the boots I bought last weekend probably can count for more than one week ;)

3 comments:

Ami said...

I LOVE this idea Kristi . . . I'm going to do it also.

Mrs Montoya said...

Perfect plan! I am with ya all the way. Enjoy those naps!!!

Melinda H. said...

I was so stoked to be a part of you "one for you, one for me" project!! You're welcome to drop off delicious dishes like that any time you want! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...