Thursday, September 3, 2009

Getting in touch with my creative side

My grandmother used to sew beautifully. Unfortunately I was 9 years old when she passed away and I didn't have the chance to learn from her. A few months after she passed I asked my mom if I could have my grandma's old sewing machine. "Sure, why?" asked my mom. "I want to learn to sew" I answered. Fast forward 22 years and I'm just now really learning to sew.

I started getting in touch with my creative side a couple of months ago when Lauren started to grow hair. Funny, right? Well, not so funny when you go to buy cute hair bows for your 6 month old and either they are ugly or ridiculously overpriced. So I made a couple, then a couple more and now Lauren pretty much has a bow to match every outfit (and so do both my nieces because how many ladybug bows does Lauren really need?). Then I branched out into sewing. Here is a picture of Lauren in a top I made for her (hard to tell but the top part is shirred - meaning elastic) with a matching hair bow.

3 comments:

Cjewells said...

Couldn't help thinking about how happy Lauren's great-grandnanny, Helen, would be to know that there is sewing going on in your house! How wonderful it is to create. When I was in high school (in the ancient 70s) we were required to take Home Ec. I loved it! it's where I learned the foundation of cooking and sewing. Sewing teaches you so many lessons: patience (ripped out many a seam before I got this); pride in the making of something from disparate bits and pieces; nurturing vision and imagination; and most of all the joy of the creative process. All lesson I am still learning. I love reading your blog.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Calagna Family said...

Wow! That is so awesome :) I am impressed ... I would LOVE to learn how to sew! I too know how expensive those dang hair bows can be! Would love to meet the kids someday ... let me know if you have some free time! xox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...