Monday, September 7, 2009

Getting Over Fears

This was a big weekend for Daniel. He was able to tackle two of his fears head on and triumph. The first was the diving board. We've been encouraging him all summer to jump off our diving board. No tricks, treats or positive words could break that kid. Then the impossible happened. He stepped up on the board (and with a nudge from daddy) made a leap. Now, our only problem is getting him off the darn thing and out of the pool for dinner.


The second fear was sand (see earlier post). Not exactly a fear, but a distinct dislike. Maybe the sand is less intimidating at LA County beaches, because on Sunday we headed up to Redondo Beach to visit Uncle Pete and Aunt Kriszta and once again, the impossible happened. Daniel was happy in the sand and even helped daddy build a sand castle.

Every day my kids amaze me. Whether it's getting over fears or learning a new word, they do inspire me. It's funny to me how within 30 minutes I can go from complete frustration to such a powerful love it actually hurts. How can they drive me crazy one minute and create tears of joy the next?

I have to remember to get over my own fears and just leap into this wonderful, crazy, emotional, all-encompassing world of motherhood. I fear if I'm teaching, disciplining, encouraging, leading and following my kids the "right" way. But, like Daniel did this weekend, all I can do is get out there and do it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...