Friday, February 19, 2010

10 Things...

I've seen a few lists like this on other blogs or in magazines, but I wanted to share my own. So here are my 10 Things I Didn't Know Until I Became a Mom:

1. The true meaning of sleep deprivation. Sure I had late nights in college or busy days in my pre-kids career, but nothing compares to the lack of sleep that hits you the moment you bring your little bundle of joy home from the hospital. And I'm pretty sure when they are teenagers it is worse, not better.

2. Band-Aids really do fix anything. Whether my kids have a real or imaginary boo-boo, a band-aid will instantly make it better. Even quicker response time if the band-aid has a superhero or smiling cat on it.

3. No matter have many toys you have, they will fight over the same one. We have a house full of toys, a garage that is a gym/playroom and a yard full of fun, but they will fight like crazy over one stupid balloon.

4. You will do and say the craziest things. It is not unusual for me to have a lengthy conversation about which dinosaurs could fit in our house, dance to the "Hot Dog" song, or cut food into shapes in hopes that my kids will eat it. I sometimes stop and think about the words coming out of my mouth and wonder "what the hell am I talking about?!" Oh yes, I was discussing the fact that there is a pretend monster in the kitchen.

5. The 3 P's - Pee, Poop and Puke. First, these things will barely faze you when they come from your own child (other peoples still gets me). The other thing that is interesting about The 3 P's is that you will talk about them with your husband and friends. From day one, you will discuss at length the color, consistency and quantity of the The 3 P's.

6. You will experience Mom Guilt. Whether you work full time, part time or stay at home, you will feel mom guilt. "Am I working too much and not spending enough time with my kids?" "Am I with my kids too much and not teaching them to be independent?" Whatever the situation, you will have a certain amount of guilt. Let's let it go ladies!!

7. A sleeping child's face is heavenly. It doesn't matter if you are religious or not, when you gaze at your child's face when they are asleep you will sense a higher power. The peaceful look on their innocent little faces is breathtaking. But be sure to tip-toe away quietly -- if you wake a child unexpectedly you will experience an entirely different higher power.

8. You will be that mom. You know you did it before having kids...you judged the mom in the store with the screaming kids. I try like mad to avoid public tantrums, but they happen. So try not to judge, just walk on without a second glance. That's what you'll want when you are in her shoes.

9. You will break the rules. I laugh at those pre-kids couples who give me parenting advice. "Uh-huh, hold on just a sec so I can videotape you so when you have kids I can make you eat your words." Don't ever say you won't let your baby use a pacifier or go to sleep with a bottle; don't ever say you will not let your kids eat in the car or have McDonalds. And telling me I should be more flexible - ha, you have no idea how much a decent routine helps my kids sleep better (see #1).

10. The meaning of unconditional love. Of course I loved before kids - I am married and have a great family after all - but the love I feel for my kids is POWERFUL. I'm talking, I will lift a car off my child, throw myself in front of a speeding train type love. It's the love that really is "to the moon and back."

1 comment:

aallycat said...

Wow Kristi, that was so fun to read. You are a wonderful writer. I loved reading every word about what you've learned and can't wait to experience it myself. Love, Allyson

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...